McKenna House communities ~ Who are our students?
- Young adults 18 years of age and older
- Completing high school or preparing for college
- Transitioning from another setting and ready to begin to live on their own
- Stepping back from college to regain their footing
All applicants are interviewed to ensure the best possible fit. It’s very important that a young adult is personally choosing to join the McKenna House community and is committed to engaging in this aspect of their life, ready to take the next step to independence. Appropriate applicants are looking for an environment in which they will receive support and guidance as they begin the transition to successful independent living and exploring their own potential.
What does it look like to live in a McKenna House community?
McKenna House communities are designed to provide living environments that encompass the intellectual, social, physical, creative, and community service facets of an individual. We’re here to help young adults find a healthy way to balance their time and get ready to lead content, independent lives!
- Our students are engaged in their own lives on a daily basis in such activities as academics, internships, community service, volunteering, outdoor activities, working, playing, cooking, and simply hanging out.
- Students are assisted in putting together a daily and weekly plan. Each plan is individual to the student and may include all or part of the activities on the sample plan, such as:
- Work/job shadowing/internships
- Volunteer work/community service
- Sports/outdoor activities: soccer, basketball, baseball, windsurfing, boating, hiking, biking, skiing, snowboarding, etc.
- Culture: art, music, theater, culinary